CREATE an ART COOP
to support ARTISTs INSIDE AND OUT OF PRISON
September 14, 2019 • 1- 3 pm
Southern California Library
6120 S. Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90044
Collective REMAKE and Friends are holding an initial planning meeting
to begin the start-up phase for a Democratically Run Art Cooperative
This is an informational & initial planning session. People/Artists
IMPACTED by incarceration and navigating reentry are encouraged
to attend. There will an an introduction to cooperatives, and a hands on participatory excercise with the Business Model Canvas, a brainstorm on multiple concepts for cooperative art businesses. Ideas currently include:
• Recycle for ART: a coop that will produce, market and sell art.
• Arts for Healing and Wellness: provide classes,
workshops and healing arts
• Multi-media and Design: provide multi media design services
and train impacted people in technology and design.
Please join us to Learn more! Please let us know you are coming!
If you have questions, please contact Mary Sutton at
email@example.com • 310-709-8602, or
Bryant Mangum • firstname.lastname@example.org
Collective REMAKE will be tabling all day.
“ONE OF LA’S FIVE BEST ANNUAL BOOK FAIRS,” the Leimert Park Village Book Fair attracts over 200 authors, poets, spoken word artists, storytellers, performers, and literary/educational exhibitor participants – and boasts an audience of over 5,000. Since its inception LPVBF has grown in popularity and prestige becoming a cultural tradition and premier summer literary event. The 13th Annual Leimert Park Village Book Fair is happy to announce world-class athlete, fitness and wellness advocate, TV personality and home chef, Laila Ali as its 2019 book fair ambassador. She will be headlining the culinary stage with recipes from her new cookbook, “Food for Life.” Laila currently is the host of Emmy Award-winning show, “Home Made Simple,” which airs every Saturday on the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN).
We have cups, stickers, posters, pins and books for sale.
We are selling Jessica Gordon-Nembhard’s book, Collective Courage: A History of African American Cooperative Economic Thought and Practice.
Collective REMAKE’s Environmental Education Day held at the Five Points Youth Foundation was a huge success.
- Composting: Learn how to build your back yard compost system
- Environmental Exhibition—Colorful displays presented the devastating impact that Textiles and Plastics have on the Environment
- Art Making
- Youth created the Plastic Fish and learned how our plastic trash hurt sea life and ends up in the food we eat
- Kids also had the opportunity to silkscreen on recycled shirts
- Music: Local L.A. Artists join the Five Points Youth Foundation and Collective REMAKE in community celebration
- Food: Vegan burgers and jerk chicken and healthy dishes served to all, young and old
- This event is funded by the California Mental Health Services Authority (CalMHSA)
June 15, 2019 • 4pm – 7pm
Free & Open to the Public
Healthy BBQ, Meat and Vegan, for All
Collective REMAKE is featuring sustainable
Cooperative business models:
Recycle for JOBs • Worms4U • All City Art
PLEASE Bring Your empty CRV Beverage Containers
to support Recycle for JOBs
April 6, 2019 • 1 pm – 4 pm
Legal Steps to Start Your Cooperative
Photos shown are from Collective REMAKE’s Workshops Series held at Southern California Library, 2016, and Fair Chance Project, Summer 2017, where LA Coop Lab facilitates the Business Model Canvas exercise. Photos in bottom row are from 2018 Summer Seminar held at Southwest College.
- Value Proposition and Customer Segments
- Customer Relationships
- Channels for Reaching Customers
- Revenue Model
- Cost Model
- Key Resources, Activities, and Partnerships
- present an overview of the building blocks of the canvas illustrated by an example from an existing cooperative business
- provide time for teams to do a first pass at the whole canvas, as well as time to debrief team assignments of the specific elements of the canvas.
- To understand the fundamentals necessary to create a start-up budget for a cooperative business
- To become familiar with the elements of a solid cooperative business plan
- To be aware of multiple sources for start-up funds in the cooperative and small business arenas.
- To know about the concept of patronage as critical part of cooperative accounting
Collective REMAKE presents a Cooperative Education & Development Saturday Workshop Series
February 16 – April 27, 2019
Free and Open to the Public • Please let us know you are coming.